Yaz Side Effects
Generic Name: Drospirenone & Ethinyl Estradiol
Brand Name: Yaz
Consumer need to know
Applies to Yaz: Oral
Most common Yaz Side Effects
Yaz is used for preventing pregnancy. But, like any other medicine it has its benefits and side effects. It is important for the consumer to be informed with them before use. If they are already being treated with yaz and suddenly noticing special symptoms related to yaz use should firstly stop using it and then contact the doctor.
The most common side effects this oral contraceptive may cause are as below:
- general weakness and fatigue; wheezing, nausea, vomiting, irritability, start gaining some more pounds, sleep problems, changing in appetite, limb numbness, hair loss.
- problems related to the blood ; irregular uterine bleeding, high levels of potassium in blood, signs of thrombosis especially in the leg, hypertension, hypercholesterolemia, menometrorrhagia, hematemesis.
- heavy headaches, migraines, symptoms of depression (changing mood often).
- vaginal infections such as candida, vaginal itching or discharge, dark urine and stool, changes in menstrual cycle.
- unexplained swelling or rash, hives, blotches, hands, ankles or feet edema, flushing in one or both legs, moderated jaundice.
- tachypnea, chest pain, granulomas breast, other signs of heart attack.
- problems with eyes; change of vision or totally loss of it.
- stomach cramps, pain under the knee or in all leg, tooth disorder.
Yaz side effects in organs
The most controversial adverse effect of yaz is the effect it has in oncologic system. Many studies have been carried on that but even the World Health Organization (WHO) hasn’t totally agreed about links between breast cancer, cervical adenocarcinoma and use of oral contraceptives. They find it difficult to give a certain response about it because many other factors impact on, at the same time. Although according to WHO there does exist a weak association between a long use of oral contraceptive and breast cancer in women under 35 and up 45 years old. While the studies result in a contrary regarding to the yaz use and cervix carcinoma.
Taking estrogen will obviously impact in cardiovascular system. Studies showed that low doses of it have negligible effect in heart function especially in women who do not smoke. But there are also reported symptoms of yaz side effects such as hypertension, edema or thrombosis in women receiving high doses of estrogen.
Yaz use causes changes in lipid and sugar blood levels in female bodies. It increases LDL (bad cholesterol) while decreases HDL (good cholesterol) and glucose tolerance. Although those effects seems to be minimal is suggested that diabetic women should use low doses of oral contraceptive.
Less or more, gastrointestinal tract is always affected by medicines. Yaz use may causes nausea in most of the cases while there are reports that tell about a association between it and gallbladder disease. Some very rare cases speak for a possible ulcer upon the digestive aids by using yaz.
An Italian study showed that risk of hepatocellular carcinoma is higher in women who use oral contraceptive compared to whom who never use them. However this is considered not important in US and West.
Genitourinary changes are related to menstrual disorders, which can lead even to a permanent suppression of menstrual cycle.
Nervous system side effects may occur too (mood changes, depression, chorea and asthenia).
Cases of ocular changes have been known too. In worst ones it may cause partial or total loss of vision.
To finish, yaz side effects include hypersensitivity and upper respiratory infection.
Experiences and studies
According to clinical trials experience, benefits of yaz result enough to justify its use. The study showed minimal side effects of it. In addition, discontinuation led to a number of disorders including serious adverse reaction (migraine and cervical dysplasia).
After using yaz, the above symptoms were proved. For this reason, women with cardiovascular diseases, migraine, breast cancer, liver tumors or uterine bleeding should not take yaz.
Studies list the most severe yaz side effects as below:
- strokes (especially near the brain).
- pulmonary embolism.
- heart attack.
- gallbladder disease.